Re: [Xen-users] Re: DomU on LVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: DomU on LVM
From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 16:13:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 07:13:57 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Javier Guerra wrote:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Tomasz Nowak <tnowak-p@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang.rosenauer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So my plan was to use LVs directly as partitions in the guest
/dev/vg/lv1 -> /dev/hda1
/dev/vg/lv2 -> /dev/hda2 (or /dev/hdb1 FWIW)

 AFAIK this way is not to be supported in the future.

it would be a real shame.

i think most installers can respect an existing partition scheme.  if
not, they should soon, since most integrators are realizing that
installing an OS doesn't mean owning the whole hardware

The thing is that it actually is no paritioning scheme and that's why most installers are not working that way. Installers are using partition tables to find partitions but there are none available. So fdisk -l shows just "/dev/hda1 contains no valid partition table". I'm speaking at least for paravirtualized guests here.

Wolfgang