Re: [Xen-users] DomU on LVM

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote on Thu, 08 May 2008 15:18:12 +0200:

> Because the issue I have
> with that config is that the installer expects real disks with real
> partition tables it seems.

It may depend on the OS you want to install, allegedly there are
installers that can install to a partition instead of a whole disk.
I tried that with CentOS and it didn't work. The installer *can* install
to that partition (LV or partition, that's just the same for this
purpose), but it wants to see it as one disk or Xen presents it as one
disk (not sure which one is true). So, it mounts it as xvda or as
/dev/hda1 and creates a "complete" virtual disk on it. If you do not
partition this in any way, you can then copy all the contents to a "raw"
LV and you can boot from that. With "raw" I mean it's not a virtual disk
and you can mount it from Dom0 like a normal lv/partition and work on it
(while the DomU is shut down, of course). You can also attach directly any
raw LV devices to the DomU and mount them for instance as /var or /home or
swap. But you cannot install on an LV without getting that "virtual disk",
although you can boot from one. I don't know why this is not supported.
There was a thread about this "Partition vs disk images", that started end
of April, you'll get more details from it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany