Re: [Xen-users] I finally got a virtual os up, now a few questions...

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "trist007" <drakoth777@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] I finally got a virtual os up, now a few questions...
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 06:27:05 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:27:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sounds like some networking issues.  In my network environment I have multiple VLANs going to my XEN servers and I've found it useful to set up the bridges for networking (e.g. xenbr0) on my own in Linux and not let Xen do the bridge setup.  I create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr<vlan> (where VLAN is one of the numeric VLAN IDs I have) and configure the bridges that way.  Then I make sure that my Xen domU config file specifies the bridge that I want to use for that particular domU.

It sounds like your domU (or HVM) isn't able to pick up an IP address for the network interface - assuming you have a network interface configured.  This would allow you to get the initial part of the install running, right up to loading of stage2.img, because all of this is included with the initrd stuff.  Stage2.img, however, must be loaded from a mirror.  Since you were able to load the O/S from a DVD and you're now having trouble connecting to the Internet, you're likely not getting a connection at all.  Some useful information to help you here would be: 1) your domU config file, 2) the output of "ifconfig -a" in your domU, and 3) the configuration you've specified for your network interface in domU (e.g. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0).

-Nick

>>> On 2008/04/03 at 15:56, trist007 <drakoth777@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I wasn't able to get a paravirtual os up.  For some reason, during the
install, after the message no ipv6 routers available, I would get prompted
for stage2.img file.  It would ask for an ftp server and the path.  I tried
several of the mirrors that fedora project listed and would still get the
same problem.  So I finally decided to make a virtual os so that I could
install fedora 8 from my dvd.

Anyhow, I have a system up and running, however lftp and firefox can't
connect to the internet.  I route -n and everything came up normally, i
restarted the /etc/init.d/network restart and it restarted fine, but I just
don't seem to get any connectivity on firefox and lftp.  What do I need to
do?

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.