RE: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:20:40 +1100
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:21:16 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Saturday 02 February 2008 09:18:25 pm Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> > This seems to be the  same as my problem, Inaccessible Boot Device. Can
> you
> > try without installing the "xenhide" driver, and then trying an xm
> > block-attach on your domain? The driver loads the new disk but can't
> access
> > with a 0 mb size etc.
>
> I tried uninstalling xenhide. Boy, did that mess up my vm. Windows had to
> reinstall almost every device in the guest, and now I have to revalidate
> w/Microsoft. Probably analogous to ripping out the backplane of your
> computer
> and putting in another. I rebooted w/o /gplpv and got my system working
> again. Then i tried rebooting w/ /gplpv, and it hung at the Windows logo
> for
> a long time. I went to bed, and when I got up, my logs indicated it took
> about 1/2 hour to boot. Interesting thing is power saving had been
> enabled,
> and my screen was blank. I've never seen that before, and had always
> wanted
> it.

Unless you were using 0.6.3 or older, I would have expected that xenvbd
wouldn't touch the boot disks without xenhide. Is it possible that the damage
was done earlier and it only just surfaced now?

> After verifying the condition of my system, I tried a crude benchmark
> copying
> a large file to dom0, and I got a BSOD w/different numbers as below. I
> never
> got to do a block-attach, and now I'm just going to try James' 0.6.5
> release,
> including xenhide.
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x80000003,0x805310DD,0x8054FFA8,0x00000000)

That's an 'assert' statement being executed, eg in one of the drivers there is
a statement that says 'if this condition isn't true then crash'. Can you tell
me what driver it was triggered in?

> > As long as the xenhide driver works and the xenvbd driver handles the
> disk
> > access, you won't see any difference. In order to confirm, your disk
> device
> > under device manager, looking at it by view type "by connection", you
> shall
> > see that the disk is under the xenvbd SCSI controller device.  If it's
> still
> > under IDE controller Intel, then you'll see no speed difference.
>
> With and w/o /gplpv, my Qemu disks were still present under the 'Intel ...
> IDE
> Controller'. I didn't look closely at the the Xen driver to see if there
> was
> an actual block device attached.

Ah yes, xenhide 0.6.4 didn't do the right thing with Xen 3.2.0.

James