Re: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:46:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:46:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 02 February 2008 04:43:43 pm you wrote:
> Hi James. Really excited about your work. This is the first time (0.6.3)
> that I've tried your PV drivers, now that you've ruled out problems on
> Intel arch.

Ok, ignore my private message, and I'm now cc-ing the list. I just selected
the earliest System Restore point I had, and I was able to wipe out my
damage, and I installed your drivers smoothly.

First problem is when I select the '/gplpv' entry in the boot menu, I get a
BSOD (message available on request) and the following messages in dom0's
(fc8) syslog:

Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2047, event-channel 5,
protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)
Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2046, event-channel 6,
protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)

Then I rebooted w/o /gplpv, and was pleased to see that Taskmgr reported I had
a 2nd connection anyway, Local Area Connection 2, 1Gbps. After some initial
confusion about why all the computers in my subnet were getting dhcp
discovery messages logged on their firewalls every 10 secs, I realized that
both windows connections were using the same mac address, and the '2'
connection was being ignored by my router/dhcp server. I went into windows
Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections, and disabled the original Local
Area Connection.

I must say, I don't actually see any speed improvements in my crude tests. Do
I have to do anything to configure the hard disk in windows like I had to
disable one of my Local Area Connections?

What about the remaining PCI devices under 'Other Devices' in Device Manager,
console and vfb, that you didn't have drivers for? I didn't notice any
mention of them in the ToDo.

Thanx for the work so far.