Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM-capable CPU
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:46:03 +0300
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:41:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > So I can run kquemu inside domU but not in dom0?
> > Right?
>
> In a HVM domU, yes.  It should work in principle...
>
> > I can get different ring 0 for domUs,
> > and this gives me possibilty to run kquemu inside domUs?
>
> Yes, but the performance might not be great, and I doubt anyone has ever
> tested that this works!

I hope I will test and will tell about my results.

> I guess the other thing to consider is whether you'd be better off running
> something like VMware server, if the freely available solutions don't fit
> your needs?

No.

The scenario I've described (many OSes, Xen + quemu)
is for experimental purposes.
And my main goal in it is to get know more about Xen
and its usage (especially in a heterogenous environment).

As for production environments,
we principally use Linux (and Windows with HVM in several cases)
and there are no problems with it.

--
WBR, i.m.chubin