Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM-capable CPU
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:26:21 +0300
Cc: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:21:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Actually, I want to run
> >
> > quemu + kquemu inside Xen Domain 0 on the HVM-capable system.
>
> No, because kqemu is still requiring access to ring 0 protection level
> (that's the highest privilege level), which is still not available to
> anything other than the hypvervisor itself - you can get a "different"
> ring 0 for guest domains, but that's not in Dom0.

So I can run kquemu inside domU but not in dom0?
Right?

I can get different ring 0 for domUs,
and this gives me possibilty to run kquemu inside domUs?

> So the answer to this question is the same as for non-HVM capable
> systems.
>
> I still don't quite understand what the purpose of running kqemu on top
> of a HVM-capable system is, as it's almost certain to be no faster than
> running a HVM domain itself. It may not be FASTER to run the HVM domain
> either - depending on what's going on in the domain, but most cases it
> probably is.

I have tried to explain what I want in the previous letter.

Mats, thank you for your help and for your answers.
Your letters really help me to understand Xen better.

--
WBR, i.m.chubin