Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM-capable CPU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:10:49 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:09:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is it possible to run quemu inside Xen domU

Yes, but you won't be able to use the kqemu accelerator module.

> or run Xen domain 0 on quemu have discussed
> earlier in this mail list.

I think that works too, I tested it out briefly and Xen booted inside kqemu.
You won't be able to use HVM-Xen inside Qemu even if your hardware supports
it.

> But what about HVM-capable systems?
>

> Please tell me are there the same restrictions for the hvm-capable systems?

You can run probably qemu in an HVM guest.  You may even be able to run kqemu
in an HVM guest.

If you use KVM you might be able to run non-HVM Xen as a guest inside that.

You can run non-HVM Xen inside HVM Xen (I do this regularly).

Does that cover all the cases you were interested in?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!