Re: [Xen-users] Problem with xen boot if DOM0 is on the LVM, which is on

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 16:44, Artur Linhart - Linux communication wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       Thanks for response :-)
>
> I verified the kernel configurations, they are different - sure - but in
> the area of the MD/LVM this is very similar (the only difference is, the
> Xen kernel has for CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD the value "y", by the Ubuntu default
> kernel it is the value "m"), so it's looks for me like this is rather not
> the problem I have... Or what do You think?

I think this should not be a problem.

> In the /dev/mapper directory is only 1 character device with the name
> "control"
> After the system comes in the state described below,  there is such a "
> prompt"
> (initramfs)
> And the cursor is blinking there, I can use some shell commands of the xen.
> If I start lvm, I can by lvdisplay, vgdisplay, pvdisplay see the given
> entities like I have defined it and used in Ubuntu direct, but that is all
> - it looks like the device in /dev/mapper just would not be created and I
> do not have any Idea why or what should I do...

Try this (in initramfs shell):

vgchange -a y

this should bring up all volume groups

It seems that there is no script to bring up lvm in your initrd. Check the
contents of /script (in initramfs) or /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts if
there is a script "lvm". Maybe regenerating the initrd might help. Try this
(on normally booted system):

update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.18-xen

(At least this should work on debian, I expect ubuntu to be similar)

--
Regards
        Vladislav Kurz