Re: [Xen-users] Operative system supported in virtual machines by Xen 3

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Operative system supported in virtual machines by Xen 3
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:32:54 +0100
Cc: nicola <nicola.calligaris@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:31:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> my question is: which operative systems in the virtual machines are
> supported by Xen 3.0 ?

If your hardware has virtualisation support (Intel's VT-x or AMD-V) then you
can probably run all the operating systems you list.  If you don't, then
you're limited to paravirtualised guests (i.e. just the Linux guests, not
Windows).

> For example: can I have a Fedora Core 6 with Xen 3.0 and create 3
> virtual machine whith Windows Server 2003, RedHat ES5 and Ubuntu
> respectively installed for production enviroenment?

I'm not sure what Xen version FC6 ships.  I think it might be 3.0.3, which was
a little lacking in HVM (full virtualisation) support.  Installing 3.0.4, or
maybe 3.1 would get you better HVM support and might make it smoother trying
to run the Windows guest.

Redhat ES5 and Ubuntu can then be configured to run paravirtualised on this
host, with Windows running in an HVM domain.  HVM support for Windows in
general has come along quite nicely but I'm not sure if 2003 is "officially"
supported.

I've had no stability trouble running Win XP (I've had some issues with Vista
but that may not be all Xen's fault).  It's not especially fast, but it
serves my needs well.  The only problem I've had is that after upgrading to a
xen-unstable snapshot Windows decided that my virtual hardware had changed
and now wants to be reactivated :-(

You'll want to do your own production-readiness evaluation, but from what I
understand, Xen looks like it may well serve your needs.  The XenSource Xen
products also supply accelerated disk / net drivers for Windows - you could
try XenExpress as a cost-free example of what this is like (and I believe you
can upgrade that seamlessly to XenServer / XenEnterprise by buying a license
key).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.