Re: [Xen-users] Live Migration... shortest path

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Live Migration... shortest path
From: "Florian G. Haas" <florian.haas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:26:02 +0100
Cc: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:25:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joe,

I'd agree with Daniel's previous post that using a file-backed VBD on NFS is
clearly the easiest and fastest way to get you going in terms of being able
to demonstrate live migration. I've seen it used by vendors on trade shows
and expos. Just make sure you use the same mount point for your NFS share in
both dom0's.

If, however, you'd like to demonstrate live migration where your VBDs are
backed by "physical" (that is, dom0 block) devices, and you don't have access
to an iSCSI or FC SAN infrastructure, you might want to use DRBD
(www.drbd.org), which enables you to keep the block device in sync over the
wire, kind of like networked RAID 1. Starting with version 8, you can use
DRBD in an active/active configuration. This is normally used for cluster
file systems such as GFS and OCFS2, however it might come in handy for Xen
live migration as well.

That approach may be faster (in terms of performance) than file-backed VBDs on
NFS. I'll do some testing on this over the next couple of weeks or so and let
you know the results.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas                               Tel +43-1-8178292-60  :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH          Fax +43-1-8178292-82  :