RE: [Xen-users] Live Migration... shortest path

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Live Migration... shortest path
From: "Kraska, Joe A \(US SSA\)" <joe.kraska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:10:43 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:10:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Create a file based disk image stored on an NFS partition shared
between
> your two Dom0s. File based images on NFS are certainly slow, but its
the
> minimal effort required to demo migration. For more serious production
> use you'd want either a cluster filesystem like GFS, or a network
block
> device like iSCSI, or shared SAN with cluster LVM.

Thank you for your fast response. I hadn't seen a xen domU config
recipe to do this, but I inferred that the approach using

dd, mkfs.ext3, and an NFS store might get me there.

I was a bit unclear in part because I don't know how the dom0 goes
about knowing that the shared image on both sides is something that
will make the migration happy, whereas with the nfs_root technique,
dom0 is unambiguously notified of the common store.

>From troving the list archives, I'd thought that NFS ROOT was the
preferred way on several levels, insofar as a SAN fs wasn't around.

Joe.