Re: [Xen-users] xen3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: domU not created - device vif c

To: PUCCETTI Armand <armand.puccetti@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen3.0.3 on Ubuntu 6.10: domU not created - device vif could not be connected
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:38:08 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:38:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 18:11 +0100, PUCCETTI Armand wrote:
> After installing XEN 3.0.3 from source, I configured a virtual machine
> to run as a domU.
> I built a Debian Sarge virtual disk with a virtual swap, using
> instructions http://howtoforge.com/debian_sarge_xen_3.0.3_p3
>
> and a script for that domU. Running that script led me to the error:
>
> # xm create -c my5
> Using config file "my5".
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.

Some errors in your config file. See below :

> --------------------------------- domU config
> (my5)--------------------------------------------
> name="vm5"
> kernel="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> root="/dev/hda1"
> memory=512
> disk=['file:/boot/VM/vm5disk,hda1,w','file:/boot/VM/vm5swap,hda2,w']
>
> vif=[ '' ]

^^^^^^^^^ should read

vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0, mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, ip=xx.xx.xx.xx,
vifname=blah' ]

> dhcp="off"

The next 3 become obsolete :

> ip="192.168.0.101"
> netmask="255.255.255.0"
> gateway="192.168.0.1"

I typically set the IP / netmask / gateway in the dom-u itself, however
you can do this. Just be sure to contain the directives within the vif[]
container, for each nic you want to add. vifname is optional, bridge is
a must, see below about notes on a static mac.

i.e. vif = [ ' info for vif1 ',
             ' info for vif2 ',
             ' info for vif3 ' ]

.. if allocating tha maximum # of nics to the guest.

I'm assuming xenbr0 is the name of the bridge.. you may need to edit
that to suit. I also highly recommend assigning a static MAC, especially
if your behind a cisco router. Not doing this could cause networking to
break for ~9 minutes every time the guest is re-started and a new random
mac is assigned (lag time for the router to arp the new mac to the IP).

Hope this helps.

Best,
--Tim