Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?
From: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:19:43 -0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:19:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Kalcic wrote:
> I agree. Documentation talks about what you say but the answer to my
> question is not written on doc. Just because I ask an "explanation".
> As I said, I read carefully the documentation but I couldn't clearly
> understand that concept. I've just asked to better understand what I
> couldn't really get by myself about this new world (at least for me) of
> Xen. That's it. I eventually managed to install both full and
> paravirtualized machines on my system, I played with file disk and
> whatever. Right now I run a virtual/virtual cluster and I did everything
> from scratch. Thank documentation! So, let me say that this is not the
> case of "RTFM".

Regardless, the original questions were:

During the installation, is the kernel used by guest in para
virtualization mode the one shipped into the guest's media or the one
running on the host machine? Is it the same also after installation?

Given the possibility of language barrier, I tried to make as much sense
out of that as possible.  What I came up with was: RTFM.  The structure
of Xen, how it works, and what the kernels do is explained multiple
times in multiple places in the Xen docs.  It's also all over the net,
easily found by google.  If you don't at least understand the basics,
you haven't done your homework.

--
Christopher G. Stach II