Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?

To: Tom Horsley <tomhorsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:58:40 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:58:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:14:37PM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:16:18 +0100
> "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You're welcome, still, please read some docs before asking questions
> > here that are obviously well documented.
>
> I've been trying to figure out this stuff for a while now, and I
> can state with absolute certainty that there are NO well documented
> issues :-).
>
> There may be things that seem well documented to people who were
> into Xen at the start of the conversation, but to anyone
> starting from scratch, it is a lot like speaking only English
> and trying to understand two guys having a conversation in Dutch
> next door - it sounds kind of like English, but you can't actually
> make out any of the words.
>
> Anyone wanting to work on improving the docs can take a look at my
> ever evolving web page with my discoveries in sorta chronological
> order to get an idea about what confuses a total Xen novice:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/xen-fci.html

Thanks for posting that link / document. I've probably come across everyone
of those issues at one point or another in working with Xen. Trouble is that
like most of the team working on Xen in Fedora, I'm now soo familiar with
code that the solutions/workarounds are second nature - thus it is not always
obvious to us which areas needs more work / better documentation. So feedback
like this is always invaluable :-)

Some of the technical issues will be addressed in new Xen 3.0.4  and/or
Fedora 7 - the 'Error -22 Invalid argument' message in particular has been
banished! Others such as geetting suspend / resume / power management working
with Xen are pretty much intractable for now - KVM is the best hope in that
area, since Linux is the hypervisor for KVM, all existing stuff like that
should just work. When working on the documentation / release notes we'll
also try to cover many more of the issues your doc has highlighted as unclear.

Regards,
Dan.