Re: [Xen-users] crazy SWAP and RAM idea

One of the biggest advantages to using Xen is that malloc()'ing
processes that need to spawn children are able to do so in cache. This
gives the dom-u performance that a non virtualized server would enjoy.

By purposefully having them skid to disk, no matter how fast that disk
is, you're telling your kernel to release the "virtual" memory
immediately as it is file based and treated just like dentry. SQL, Web ,
Email, All services will need to fork upon every connection. This not
only slows down everything, it lessens the life of your hardware makes
everything considerably warmer and really opens your servers to denial
of service attacks.

You also risk DB corruption, (not to mention inode corruption [are you
using ext3? I hope not, or you're looking to start grepping for your
data using strings you hope exist in the files you lost] ). Just wait
until a dom-u is being hammered and dom-0 experiences an unorderly
shutdown, hope you've polished up on your regex to find your data :)

So, you're in essence, shooting your services in the foot no matter how
you go about it, unless you create your own swap system and teach your
kernel the difference.

Why not just have dom-0 look at slabs, loads , etc on the dom-u's and
balloon as needed, or setup a simple Xen virtualized Open SSI cluster?

Why shoot your OS in the foot intentionally when other means exist to
accomplish what you want to do? I just don't get it.. All your doing is
not only retarding Xen, but also your guest OS's and their services ..
for what purpose?

--Tim