Re: [Xen-users] crazy SWAP and RAM idea

To: SH Solutions <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] crazy SWAP and RAM idea
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:22:39 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:23:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crazy is a good word for it .. but would be interesting to see the
results.

I'd use a CF or USB stick (as large as you can find) to do that with,
sounds rather adventurous, but I think would prove to be problematic.

Kernel frees swap very quickly after it becomes available, so your
basically preventing all services on the dom-u's from caching idle
children, and they'd need to fork for every connection. It would be a
significant performance degradation.

If you used conventional ramdisks, you'd be able to fry an egg on the
northbridge.

Good luck however :)

--Tim