[Xen-users] (Network) unstability :-(( (Modified by Wilmer van der Gaast

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] (Network) unstability :-(( (Modified by Wilmer van der Gaast)
From: Wilmer van der Gaast <wilmer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:02:16 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:41:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm running Xen for a while already by now, and usually it works very well, I'm really impressed. But there are problems too. :-(

From time to time (it used to happen once in a month, sometimes twice, but now it happened twice in one hour) the network stack seems to break. I can reach the dom0 host perfectly from outside, but it can't communicate with the domus anymore. (Not over IP, at least, xm console still works.)

I tried to shut down the domus properly (using poweroff, as usual), but it doesn't seem to work very well for two of the machines. They shut down, and IIRC previous time xm console also exits properly (didn't check this time since I now used xm destroy), however, in xentop I still see this:

xentop - 15:58:54   Xen 3.0.1
3 domains: 1 running, 1 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 1 dying, 0 shutdown
Mem: 458296k total, 228864k used, 229432k free    CPUs: 2 @ 548MHz
NAME STATE CPU(sec) CPU(%) MEM(k) MEM(%) MAXMEM(k) MAXMEM(%) VCPUS NETS NETTX(k) NETRX(k) SSID d----- 69 0.0 60 0.0 98304 21.4 1 1 2295 1910 0 d-b--- 28 0.0 176 0.0 65536 14.3 1 1 934 247 0 Domain-0 -----r 138 0.8 209948 45.8 no limit n/a 2 8 0 0 0

I can reboot now (I'm 200km away from the machine right now), and it will work, but it takes about ten minutes first to shut down everything (it hangs for a while when Xen wants to save the machine states) and finally restart.

So anyway, I'm afraid this isn't really useful information. Things I can add: It's a dual-processor (P3) machine, so maybe it's an SMP issue? Or maybe it's not very reliable on P3 (Katmai) hardware? Would upgrading 3.0.2 be a likely solution to this problem? Because this is really too annoying, I'm not used to having to reboot my server more than once a year. :-(

Maybe the zombie files will contain useful information for debugging?

[update: I tried to post this last Friday but I wasn't subscribed. Upgraded to 3.0.2 yesterday but the problem is still there! :-( It's especially strange that it shows up so often now, while it previously ran without any problems for a couple of weeks already.]

Greetings,

Wilmer van der Gaast.

--
| wilmer : :'  :  gaast.net |  | OSS Programmer   www.bitlbee.org |