Re: [Xen-users] Root fs on LVM on software RAID1?

On 22 Feb 2006, at 14:09, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
Ah, so it looks for lvm-mod for the target (2.6.12.6-xen0) kernel, and
it's not there. Are you using Ralph Passgang's xen packages? Those
somehow work for me with MD+LVM root, even though the module is not
there (apparently compiled in as well).

I wasn't aware of Ralph's packages. Thanks for the pointer.

I'm installing Xen by doing:

        mkdir /usr/local/src/xen
        cd /usr/local/src/xen/
        wget http://bits.xensource.com/Xen/latest/xen-3.0.1-install-x86_32.tgz
        tar -pzxf xen-3.0.1-install-x86_32.tgz
        cd xen-3.0.1-install
        apt-get update
        apt-get install bridge-utils
        apt-get install iproute
        apt-get install python2.3
        apt-get install python
        sh ./install.sh
        update-rc.d xend defaults
        update-rc.d xendomains defaults
        mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled

Then I (attempt) to set up a new entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, which is where this conversation started.

There's no such thing as lvm-mod for a 2.6 kernel. LVM2 on 2.6 uses device
mapper, the module name is dm-mod.ko

Mark, maybe you could have a look at mkinitrd's code (BTW which version are you using?) and find out why is it looking for the "old" lvm module?

From the comments at the top of /usr/sbin/mkinitrd:

        $Id: mkinitrd,v 1.201 2004/05/16 22:00:48 herbert Exp $

It does look for both dm-mod and lvm-mod. I'm happy to email the mkinitrd script if anyone would like to take a look.

Cheers,

Mark.