Re: [Xen-users] Is my xen-friendly glibc really faster?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is my xen-friendly glibc really faster?
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:17:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:26:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 21 February 2006 23:03, Chris Fanning wrote:

> After compiling xen on a debian testing
> mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled

If that mv makes your system faster or slower depends entirely on your
application. After all, this disables the NPTL thread libraries, which are
said to give a huge performance boost (>100% in some syntetic benchmarks) to
threaded apps.

> and in a domU I installed kde, openoffice, mozilla, etc.
> Performance is not what I expected so I compiled a xen-friendly libc6

If you run them in a domU, my guess would be the slowdown is caused by your
VNC/NX/remote X11 connection, not from the processing in domU.

> -----I copied this from the xen-users list------
> Debian's current glibc-2.3.5-6 seems to have included this patch already.
> apt-get build-dep libc6
> apt-get source libc6
>
> edit debian/rules adding
> '-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs' to BUILD_CFLAGS y HOST_CFLAGS.
>
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
> after installing libc6_2.3.5-13_i386.deb I don't get that warning anymore
> :)
>
> but performance hasn't noticeably improved.

Well, thats the prefered solution, you get the speedups from NPTL without the
slowdown incurred by xen's emulation of TLS memory access.

> How can I test this?

run some benchmarks?

/Ernst