Re: [Xen-users] Upgrading to Xen 3 on Fedora Core 4

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Upgrading to Xen 3 on Fedora Core 4
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:54:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:05:36 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 00:07 +0000, Xen wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've been struggling the past couple of days to install Zen 3 on
> FC4. The readme guide makes it sound simple, but I've had nothing but
> error after error and seem to have hit a complete dead end. Please
> could someone give me a guide, or tips if they have done this
> themselves.

Please provide detailed information on what exactly you did, and what
exactly the errors and effects you are seeing look like. I am not a
Fedora/xen expert, but I see that answering you questions is hard for
others without additional information.

>   I did manage to get a kernel to compile, but it didn't have the
> right drivers for my RAID 10 SATA hard disk (4 disks).

Then you need to compile an own kernel with the needed drivers.

>  I looked at a working install of FC4 and it looks like it uses SCSI
> drivers to get it working.

Yes, SATA disks need SCSI drivers, I can tell from my experience(at lest
those I have need SCSI to run nicely with DMA). So this is completely
O.K.

> I then had no luck running "make ARCH=xen xconfig", so I tried copying
> over a .config from the FC4 kernel and that wouldn't make.

What do you mean with "had no luck"? If the config stuff doesn't work in
first place, something is completely wrong there.
Did you try using menuconfig instead of xconfig? (xconfig will obviously
not work on a console based system.
What config did you copy over, a plain fedora kernel config without xen?
That wouldn't work well to create a xen kernel. What happened exactly
when it "wouldn't make"?

Henning