[Xen-users] Resolved

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Resolved
From: Kris Hollingsworth <kris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:41:29 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 05:51:58 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was able to identify my problem, when Xen 2.0.7 was bringing up the VIF interface (VIF1.0), it was using the default MAC address of FE.FF.FF.FF.FF.FF, which was fine. However, when I would bring up the second interface, it would bring up the VIF(VIF2.0) with the same MAC address. I tried manually setting the VIF in the config file.

vif=[ 'mac=FE.FF.FF.FF.FF.10, bridge=xen-br1' ]

but it only changed the value of the MAC on the Virtual Machine. It still left the VIF interface with identical HWMac addresses. At this point the bridges would stop working, and removing one of the VIF's would not fix it. I rebooted and brought up the first VM, then I did:

ifconfig VIF1.0 down
ifconfig VIF1.0 hw ether FE.FF.FF.FF.FF.10
ifconfig VIF1.0 up

Which worked fine, brought up the second machine, which was FE.FF.FF.FF.FF.FF, and it still worked! Wonderful. Anyone have an idea why Xen is not doing this already? For now I'm probably just going to modify the /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge to modify it just before adding it to the bridge based on the MAC of the Virtual Machine. I'll be setting them statically in the configuration files now that I have them both working.

-Kris Hollingsworth