Re: [Xen-users] understanding routed networking with xen 3.0

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:00:43PM +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 08:31 -0500, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
> > [...]
> > Routed is basically assigning the domU to an interface and the egress
> > for those packets is a different interface on the dom0. It is really
> > simplistic, hence the lack of documentation.
>
> What do you mean by simplistic? If you mean, it "just works" then I
> strongly disagree. It does definitely _not_ just work. Even if some very
> experienced people get some things running very easily, for mere mortals
> some things really need to be documented better (or, preferably, made
> really "just work").

I think he means simplistic in the sense that Xen doesn't actually do
anything out of the ordinary in a routed configuration. When you start a
routed domain new get a new interface in dom0 and then Xen pretty much
steps out of the way. If you read the scripts network-route (which is run
when you start xend) and vif-route (which is run whenever a new vif
interface is created) you'll see just how little Xen does in routed mode.

> I do exactly what is described in the mail I mentioned on how to use
> routed networking, but, as I tested that further,I get an error as soon
> as I use the "ip=10.0.1.1" directive within the vif directive. What's
> wrong with doing so? Is there a replacement?
>
> What can be causing this?

If you read the vif-route script you'll see that adding the ip parameter to
the vif directive causes the vif-route script to try and add a route to the
routing table using the "ip" command. Perhaps you don't have it installed?
I don't know what distro you are using, but it's in the iproute package in
Debian.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx