Re: [Xen-users] Xen on SuSe 10

To: "Jimmy Pierre" <jpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on SuSe 10
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:02:50 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:05:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm currently attempting it without much luck.  I have a couple different setups:

P4/2.4gHz
512M RAM
40GB HD (IDE)
CDROM

and

P3/866mHz x 2
1G RAM
67GB RAID
CDROM
Tape Backup

I'm also using SuSE 10 and am having some issues.  First, the version of Xen packaged with SuSE 10.0 seems very unstable.  I was playing with this setup on Friday and had to reboot each of these machines numerous times (sometimes they hung, sometimes Xen seemed to not manage the CPU well and they slowed to a crawl).  Xend (the management daemon) also seems to crash when you try to use xm to perform certain operations on the guest domains.

Second, I haven't had any luck getting the networking for the guest O/S's to work.  With the networking, the first issue is that the version of Xen with SuSE 10 doesn't seem to add the guest's virtual interface to the bridge correctly.  Even after adding it manually, however, it doesn't seem to work.  Second, on the guest O/S, the interface presented seems to change numbers.  For example, the first time you boot the guest, it shows up as interface eth0.  The second time it increments to interface eth1, and so on, which makes it very difficult to set a configuration in the guest O/S.  They have also changed the way the interfaces are named.  The host O/S has "eth0", "peth0" (which I'm assuming stands for physical ethernet 0), and "vif0.0" (virtual interface 0.0).  The guest O/S has "eth0" (or eth1, or eth2, etc.), "veth0" (which I assume stands for virtual ethernet 0) and "vif1.0" (virtual interface 1.0 or 2.0, etc.).  I'm slightly confused by which interface to configure on the guest O/S.  I have no problem with getting Dom0's networking to work, it's the guest domains that I have issues with.  I'm assuming there's just something wrong with the network scripts that Xend uses to manage the interfaces, but I haven't quite got to the point of messing with those, yet.

As far as your setup goes, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with the CPU speed - Xen seems to be very good at managing that - but if you can possibly upgrade the RAM, that would certainly help.

If anyone has any advice on my SUSE10 woes, please share - I'm open to suggestions.  If I don't get it working in the next couple of days, I'm probably going to go back to Xen-2.05 (SUSE 9.3).

Thanks,

Nick Couchman
Systems Integrator
SEAKR Engineering, Inc.
6221 South Racine Circle
Centennial, CO 80111
Main: (303) 790-8499
Fax: (303) 790-8720
Web: http://www.seakr.com

>>> On 2005/12/03 at 11:10:25, "Jimmy Pierre" <jpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

Has anybody successfully installed Xen on SuSe 10?

My config :

256 RAM
60 HD SCSI
DVD