Re: [Xen-users] LAN configuration?

Hi Marcus

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 10:35 +1000, Marcus Brown wrote:

> For the LAN interface, hide the NIC from dom0 and export it to the
> Firewall driver domain. For an internal DMZ create a bridge in dom0
> (possibly tied to a dummy interface) without an IP assigned to it
> and export it to the firewall. Any domUs you want your LAN to access
> just need to have this bridge specified in their xen config, and the
> appropriate firewall rules for routing between the LAN and DMZ.

How is a bridge like that exported to the firewall?  I know how to
export a physical device, but not a bridge.  Is it done via a 'vif =
[....]' statement in the firewall domain's configuration script?

> You could use the Firewall driver domain as a network backend for your
> domUs, but this results in a new vif being issued in the Firewall for
> each domU created, and can cause problems with firewalls like Shorewall.
> Hence my preference for an 'untethered' bridge.

Yeah, I tried doing that (specifying "backend=fw01" in the domU's
config), but since I have LAN and DMZ domUs on the host server, I could
not find a way to specify which vif created on the firewall was to be in
the DMZ and which was to be in the LAN :-(

-Alan

P.S.: Replies to the list as opposed to my personal address are
preferred, as this information may be quite useful for others. :-)