[Xen-users] Which distributed file system for xen hosts/guests?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Which distributed file system for xen hosts/guests?
From: master@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:05:04 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but since it is related to the
overall multi-machine architecture, here goes:

What would you folks look at as far as a distributed file systems for
various physical/virtual Xen machines? Requirements are:

1. fault tolerant
2. relatively speedy
3. actively supported/used
4. production stability
5. ability to add/remove/resize storage online
6. clients are unaware of physical file location(s)
7. Local client caching for speed over slower network links
8. I suppose the file system would sit on something like raid 5 for
physical protection.
9. At a high-level, I'd like to be able to dedicate individual "private"
file systems to machines as well as have various "public" filesystems, all
with the same name space.
10. Oh yeah -- secure

I've looked at:

1. GFS -- I want something a bit more
2. AFS -- looks great, but it appears to support files up to 2GB? Not big
enough. Active community though and was/is a commercial product.
3. NFS -- please
4. Lustre -- looks promising but complex and not completely open source.
5. OCFS2 -- Oracle site says beta code, not production ready. Maybe soon?
6. Intermezzo -- doesn't look like an active project any more
7. Coda -- same

Anything I'm missing? Too much fun...