Re: [Xen-users] relation between vcpu and domain

To: Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] relation between vcpu and domain
From: Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:20:57 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:19:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On 7/21/05, Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've recently started tracking xen-unstable. One of the big changes I
noticed was the split of struct domain into struct vcpu and struct
domain.

Could someone precisely describe how a domain is related to a VPU. By
looking at the code, it seems that

o each VPU is associated with a single domain
o each domain can be associated with multiple VCPUs

I'm also new to Xen, but what you discribe looks like VPU = virtual processing unit.
what you've said basically is a discription of a design to comprise that a VPU belongs to only one domain, but each domain can have several VPUs..
Why should a VPU migrate? From that description I would assume that VPUs don't migrate from domain.. but they (possibly) can be removed from a domain has long has this stays with at least one VPU, and can be added to a domain, if such vpu isn't assigned to a domain yet...

 At any single point in time, a domain
must be associated with a single VPU. If and when it migrates to a
different container, this association changes.

If that's true, there wouldn't be SMP for domains, since they are assossiated with only one VPU.

But I'm not sure if thats the right way to think about it because I
couldn't see anything that points me to the "current' VCPU of a
domain. Most code that has to relate domains to VCPUs just iterates
through the vpus array.

TIA,
Diwaker
--