[Xen-users] relation between vcpu and domain

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] relation between vcpu and domain
From: Diwaker Gupta <diwaker.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:21:51 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:20:52 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've recently started tracking xen-unstable. One of the big changes I
noticed was the split of struct domain into struct vcpu and struct
domain.

Could someone precisely describe how a domain is related to a VPU. By
looking at the code, it seems that

o each VPU is associated with a single domain
o each domain can be associated with multiple VCPUs

My naive understanding at this point is that a VCPU is sort of an
execution container for domains (function of # of cores, # of
processors, hyperthreads etc). At any single point in time, a domain
must be associated with a single VPU. If and when it migrates to a
different container, this association changes.

But I'm not sure if thats the right way to think about it because I
couldn't see anything that points me to the "current' VCPU of a
domain. Most code that has to relate domains to VCPUs just iterates
through the vpus array.

TIA,
Diwaker
--