Re: Spam:*, [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spam:*, [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors
From: Marcus Brown <marcusbrutus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:34:29 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:33:20 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Daniel Lang wrote:

>1)When I boot xen0, the specified amount of RAM shows up in top
>correctly, but the swap partitions I have are not activated.  When I
>attempt to activate swap myself, I recieve the following error message:
>       xen:/# swapon /dev/hde2
>       swapon: /dev/hde2: No such device or address
>The server has a mirrored RAID1 setup, and both MD devices are detected
>and mounted properly.  However, I am confused about why the kernel does
>not see the hard disk partitions themselves.  The disks are SATA drives,
>and so at first I thought perhaps it didn't recongize the drives, but if
>that were the case, I don't think either MD device would be detected
>properly.  Is there a boot option that I have not seen to address this
>issue?

Make sure the device exists with #fdisk -l /dev/hde
I guess it's possible that your drives are now allocated a different node.
On your original kernel, it would appear from what you're saying,
that your SATA drives all came up as hdX.
However, on you dom0 kernel, they are sdX.

>As a side note, what is a proper amount of RAM needed for xen0?  I have
>not found any documentation really stating how much RAM is need for the
>priveledged Xen instance.  The server itself has 4GB of RAM.  Should
>xen0 have all 4GB of RAM to partition to the xenU domains?

The kernel stanza in grub's menu.lst specifies the amount of memory for
dom0 to use, not how much it has to share. I'm not certain about the actual
memory overheads involved in running domains, but I've found that 128MB
is more than enough to run a couple of domains, NFS server, etc.

>2)With the default xend config, when I start xend the bridge device
>xen-br0 is created.  However, after that I lose all network activity to
>xen0.  I noticed that no vif devices were created, only xen-br0.
>Initially, xen-br0 doesn't have an IP.  I've tried setting it to the IP
>of eth0, and a 192.168.0.x IP, but I still cannot get networking up.
>
>I changed the xend config to use the network-route rather than network,
>and when I start xend, networking doesn't go down, but xen-br0 is not
>created.  I am not sure why the default network config is not working.
>Do I need to make changes to the routing tables?

I initially had this problem too, and like you, I switched to routing
until I
got everything else working and realised that routing just didn't cut it!
I'd suggest you get everything else going first.

[snip]

>disk = [ 'file:/clients/test/root_fs,sda1,w',
>'file:/clients/test/swap_fs,sda2,w' ]

[snip]

># Set root device.
>root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

[snip]

Your root device seems incorrectly set. Your device export line suggests
that the line should be:
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Marcus.