[Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors
From: Daniel Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:00:13 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:00:58 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

This is my first time trying Xen.  I have installed Xen-2.0.6, on a
Debian Sarge server.  I have a few questions that I haven't been able to
find answers to in the documentation or FAQs.

1)When I boot xen0, the specified amount of RAM shows up in top
correctly, but the swap partitions I have are not activated.  When I
attempt to activate swap myself, I recieve the following error message:
        xen:/# swapon /dev/hde2
        swapon: /dev/hde2: No such device or address
The server has a mirrored RAID1 setup, and both MD devices are detected
and mounted properly.  However, I am confused about why the kernel does
not see the hard disk partitions themselves.  The disks are SATA drives,
and so at first I thought perhaps it didn't recongize the drives, but if
that were the case, I don't think either MD device would be detected
properly.  Is there a boot option that I have not seen to address this
issue?

As a side note, what is a proper amount of RAM needed for xen0?  I have
not found any documentation really stating how much RAM is need for the
priveledged Xen instance.  The server itself has 4GB of RAM.  Should
xen0 have all 4GB of RAM to partition to the xenU domains?

2)With the default xend config, when I start xend the bridge device
xen-br0 is created.  However, after that I lose all network activity to
xen0.  I noticed that no vif devices were created, only xen-br0.
Initially, xen-br0 doesn't have an IP.  I've tried setting it to the IP
of eth0, and a 192.168.0.x IP, but I still cannot get networking up.

I changed the xend config to use the network-route rather than network,
and when I start xend, networking doesn't go down, but xen-br0 is not
created.  I am not sure why the default network config is not working.
Do I need to make changes to the routing tables?

3)When I create my test xenU instance, it appears to crash.  Here is the
output from xend-debug.log:

VIRTUAL MEMORY ARRANGEMENT:
 Loaded kernel: c0100000->c0341b84
 Init. ramdisk: c0342000->c0342000
 Phys-Mach map: c0342000->c0362000
 Page tables:   c0362000->c0364000
 Start info:    c0364000->c0365000
 Boot stack:    c0365000->c0366000
 TOTAL:         c0000000->c0400000
 ENTRY ADDRESS: c0100000
ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy
vif-route up vif=vif1.0 domain=TestDomain mac=aa:00:00:62:e9:12
bridge=xen-br0
recv_fe_driver_status> {'status': 1}

recv_fe_driver_status>

recv_fe_interface_connect {'tx_shmem_frame': 6874, 'rx_shmem_frame':
6873, 'handle': 0}
VirqClient.virqReceived> 4
vif-route down vif=vif1.0 domain=TestDomain mac=aa:00:00:62:e9:12
bridge=xen-br0

I am not sure why the error message LOOP_SET_FD: Device or resource busy
appears, since the loopback device I created the root filesystem on is
not mounted or being used.

I have attached my xend-config and xenU config that appears to be
crashing.  Any help that can be offered is appreciated, especially links
to documentation that I might have missed.

Regards,

Dan Lang
--
Daniel Lang

Systems Administrator
SevenL Networks
416.642.1235
1.866.639.5123
# Xend configuration file.

# Port xend should use for the HTTP interface.
(xend-port         8000)

# Port xend should use for the event interface.
(xend-event-port   8001)

# Address xend should listen on for HTTP connections.
# Specifying 'localhost' prevents remote connections.
# Specifying the empty string '' allows all connections.
(xend-address      'localhost')

# The port xend should start from when allocating a port
# for a domain console.
(console-port-base 9600)

# Address xend should listen on for console connections.
# Specifying 'localhost' prevents remote connections.
# Specifying the empty string '' allows all connections.
(console-address   'localhost')

## Use the following if VIF traffic is routed.
# The script used to start/stop networking for xend.
(network-script     network-route)
# The default script used to control virtual interfaces.
(vif-script         vif-route)

## Use the following if VIF traffic is bridged.
# The script used to start/stop networking for xend.
#(network-script    network)
# The default bridge that virtual interfaces should be connected to.
(vif-bridge        xen-br0)
# The default script used to control virtual interfaces.
#(vif-script        vif-bridge)

# Whether iptables should be set up to prevent IP spoofing for
# virtual interfaces. Specify 'yes' or 'no'.
(vif-antispoof     yes)

# Setup script for file-backed block devices
(block-file block-file)

# Setup script for enbd-backed block devices
(block-enbd block-enbd)

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm
create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"

# Optional ramdisk.
#ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.gz"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 128

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "TestDomain"

# Which CPU to start domain on?
#cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.

# Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
nics=1

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xen-br0' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

disk = [ 'file:/clients/test/root_fs,sda1,w',
'file:/clients/test/swap_fs,sda2,w' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=, usr= ).

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
#dhcp="dhcp"
# Set netmask.
#netmask=255.255.255.192
# Set default gateway.
#gateway=204.225.94.65
# Set the hostname.
#hostname= "vm%d" % vmid

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = '169.254.1.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root   = '/full/path/to/root/directory'

# Sets runlevel 4.
extra = "4"

# Set according to whether you want the domain restarted when it exits.
# The default is 'onreboot', which restarts the domain when it shuts down
# with exit code reboot.
# Other values are 'always', and 'never'.

restart = 'onreboot'