Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain

To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain
From: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:06:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:05:31 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andrew:

Finally I am able to install one Guest OS on my xen machine which is running RedHat 8.0 after I install /dev/sda2 partition first and than install Redhat enterprise version 3 on /dev/sda1 which is my xen machine.

In addition, I find a way to play with Grub to be able to choose which OS to boot  after installing multiple OSs in a server. Here is what I found out and hope someone else can
teke it as s reference if it is helpful.

Get to the grub> prompt first. There are two ways to do it,
 1) following the grub display menu while you boot the server. There are commands such as
     e for editing, c for going to grub command prompt

 or
 2) after booting the sever, you can type grub command which will lead you to
    grub prompt

while in grub>, you can do find /sbin/init
                                       find /vmlinuz
                                       find /boot/vmlinux

which will list all the boot partition info.

e.g.  In my case, I will have two entires
      (hd0,0)  which matches to /dev/sda1  (my RedHat Enterprise version 3)
      (hd0,1)  which matches to /dev/sda1  (my RedHat 8.0)

to choose which to boot first, you can do the following steps:
e.g. If to choose RedHat 8.0 boot first as an example:

grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> reboot

# reboot the machine

You will see RedHat 8.0 Grub will be showing during the boot process.

I will be working on the put RedHat 7.2 on the xen machine as my second Guest OS ...

I hope you will figure out your Error 17 problem soon.

Thank you again, Andrew !

Jeremy

Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> At this point, you should know definatively what bootloader you're
> using. Run to another computer and google that bootloader.
>
> Your next step is to convince your bootloader to boot with /dev/sda1 as
> root instead of /dev/sda8.
>
> You should hopefully see a list of your possible OS'es to boot(it will
> probably only show one, even though we all know you now have two.) With
> LILO, I believe you just type on the commandline the name of the
> instance you want to load then follow it with root=/dev/sda1
>
> I've only had GRUB since I started using Xen, so I don't recall exactly
> what it looks like, but basically you need to tell it where a kernel is
> it can boot, and what partition to boot as /(root). Fortunately, GRUB
> can look into filesystems and help you with filename completion for th
> kernel.

Oh, forgot to mention. This is a one-time fix. You should use whatever
method is prescribed by the bootloader on your machine to permanently
convince it to boot to /dev/sda1.

I think GRUB is required for Xen, so go ahead and get it set up and
configured there.

Being able to boot another partition is useful, but not necessary. It
might not be a bad idea to keep a bootable kernel in the /boot of
another partition. That way with a boot disk, you can boot to that
partition if you hose your main install.

Make sure you're moderately happy with the partition scheme you've
configured. I am currently minus my home Xen box because I used parted
to redo my partitions and now GRUB just gives "Error 17" or something
like that... I hope to straighten that out tonight.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Yahoo! Mail