Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain

To: Jeremy Fang <balanceinfotech@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to add Additional Domain
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:01:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:00:06 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fang wrote:
Hi Andrew:
Thanks for you quick reply. I have another problem after I follow you steps: 1) I repartition the disks to be
    /dev/sda1   /    4GB
    /dev/sda2   /rh80   10 GB
    /dev/sda5   /rh72   20 GB
    1 GB for swap
2) I installed RedHat Enterprise Linux version 3 on /dev/sda1 3) I installed RedHat 8.0 on /dev/sda2 by specifying / in the partition window After system reboot, it will always boot onto RedHat 80. How I can boot to /dev/sda1 which is my RedHat Enterprise Linux version 3 which will be latered on install the xen ? I played around fdisk /dev/sda and it seem Boot flag (*) points to /dev/sda1 Device Boot Boot Start End ./dev/sda1 * 1 510
/dev/sda2               511     1785
Why I can not boot to /dev/sda1 ? The other option I have is to install RedHat 8.0 first and then install RedHat Enterprise Linux version 3 last so that I can boot off from it to continue the xen installation. Any suggestions ?

I don't use RedHat, so my steps will be sort of vague. You should keep your replies on list, where other more versed people can respond to them.

Reboot your machine. (You may have to do this several times to engross yourself in the process.)

Watch it carefully, for signs of a boot loader. I've only seen GRUB and LILO as bootloaders, but RedHat could use something different. The bootloader starts after your video card and system BIOS messages. It looks like you're running SCSI, so you'll probably see a message saying "looking for devices", after which it'll list your hard drive(s) and possibly CDROM(s).

When you see something that looks like a bootloader that possibly says "loading", try pressing a few keys. Tab and/or Space generally work here. Sometimes the bootloader counts down seconds(from 30 or less) to starting a default OS, this will be what you want to interrupt.

At this point, you should know definatively what bootloader you're using. Run to another computer and google that bootloader.

Your next step is to convince your bootloader to boot with /dev/sda1 as root instead of /dev/sda8.

You should hopefully see a list of your possible OS'es to boot(it will probably only show one, even though we all know you now have two.) With LILO, I believe you just type on the commandline the name of the instance you want to load then follow it with root=/dev/sda1

I've only had GRUB since I started using Xen, so I don't recall exactly what it looks like, but basically you need to tell it where a kernel is it can boot, and what partition to boot as /(root). Fortunately, GRUB can look into filesystems and help you with filename completion for th kernel.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/