Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen
From: Thomas Ronner <thomas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:32:01 +0200
Cc: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, PacketCollision <packetcollision@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:30:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PacketCollision wrote:

I don't see why VMware (a program that runs under linux) wouldn't be
able to run under a linux domain in Xen.  I haven't used VMware for
several years, but as far as I remember it is completely in userspace.
 Is there a specific reason why it would not work?  Has anyone tested
this?

VMWare doesn't run completely in userspace; it needs a kernel module to work. I suppose this is necessary for VMWare to run guest code destined to be in ring 0 (i.e. OS code). As Xen OSen run in ring 1 this won't work.

Thomas