Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen

To: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen
From: PacketCollision <packetcollision@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 04:09:52 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:09:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/29/05, Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I was not able to find any information on this in the FAQ so I put the
> > question here: Is there any known problem running a vmware inside Xen?
>
> It's not possible, at least for now: guest systems (things which run
> on top of Xen) need to be modified.
>
> The only ways this could work are:
>
>   1. VMware release a special version of their software which can
>      run on Xen; not that likely I'd guess, though obviously up to
>      them.

I don't see why VMware (a program that runs under linux) wouldn't be
able to run under a linux domain in Xen.  I haven't used VMware for
several years, but as far as I remember it is completely in userspace.
 Is there a specific reason why it would not work?  Has anyone tested
this?

--
boundary n. :: In political geography, an imaginary line between two
nations, separating the imaginary rights of one from the imaginary