[Xen-devel] RE: Stability report GPLPV 0.11.0.308

To: "Andreas Kinzler" <ml-xen-devel@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Stability report GPLPV 0.11.0.308
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 15:21:22 +1000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:22:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>  >> With GPLPV 0.11.0.308 it worked perfectly and with very good
performance
>  >> for over 9 days but then when I wanted to monitor the status, I
was no
>  >> longer able to connect via remote desktop. When examining the file
>  >> system of the HVMs I found that somehow even the prime95 processes
> did stop.
>  >> Any ideas? Could c/s 948 make any difference? Network worked
perfectly
>  >> for 9 days, so I ask myself if the count of c/s 948 is used at
all?
>  >There is some combination that I can't reproduce that seems to cause
>  >problem when that count isn't passed in correctly. So it is a bug,
but
>  >I'm not sure if it causes the problems you are seeing.
>
> What exactly is the problem you encountered?
>
>  >I can give you a link to a build with that fix applied if you want
>  >test further.
>
> Thanks. I have plans to test the 0.11.0.312 version. I have a complete
> build system here and a kernel-mode enabled signing certificate so I
can
> use that for my tests.

I actually looked back through the changes and there is still a fix to
come - basically xennet allocates new buffers when it needs them, but
never frees them again so if there is a really big burst of traffic it
could end up taking all the available memory. That could cause the
problem you are seeing. I'm a bit busy with some other things at the
moment but I hope to have a fix by the end of the week.

James