[Xen-devel] Re: [PROPOSAL] Doing work in idle-vcpu context

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [PROPOSAL] Doing work in idle-vcpu context
From: George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:43:16 +0100
Cc: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 02:44:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
One bit of mechanism this would require is the ability to bump the idle vcpu
priority up - preferably to 'max' priority forcing it to run next until we
return it to idle/lowest priority. George: how hard would such a mechanism
be to implement do you think?

More generally: what do people think of this idea?
I think it's a pretty good idea. Obviously having to have the the idle thread be able to switch to "schedule me NOW" priority would involve some special-casing (esp with shared runqueues), but it shoudn't be too bad.

-George