Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [PROPOSAL] Doing work in idle-vcpu context

To: Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] RE: [PROPOSAL] Doing work in idle-vcpu context
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:53:29 +0100
Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:54:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 19/04/2010 07:08, "Dulloor" <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Using the idle_domain as a worker_domain sounds a good idea. And,
> bumping the credit up
> doesn't seem to be too difficult. I have attached a quickly whipped
> working patch (with a test driver) for this.
> Not many scheduler changes. I have looked at all the other places for
> idle_vcpu and
> PRI_IDLE too and they look fine to me.
>
> Keir, is this similar to what you are looking for ?

Yes indeed something similar to that. It's the scheduler changes I can't be
sure about, and of course we really need SEDF and credit2 changes as well,
hence I'd also like some feedback from George. Letting the scheduler peek
straight at per-cpu workqueues to check for work to do is a good idea
though. Easier than adding more scheduler hooks I think.

 Thanks,
 Keir