Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel printk timestamps and walltime drift

To: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Cruz <rcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel printk timestamps and walltime drift
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:36:22 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:35:59 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/6/08 22:21, "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Roger --
>
> Sorry, I made a bad assumption... the solution I provided
> works for hvm domains.  For pvm domains, the guest clock
> will generally be determined by xen system time, and as
> Keir said, if the underlying clock xen is using skews from
> wallclock time, then xen system time will skew also.
>
> I think the solution for this situation is to ensure
> that /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock is set to 0
> for each of your pvm domains and run ntpd on domain0.

Since sched_clock() is not built on top of xtime, this won't help.
sched_clock()'s implementation is tightly bound to Xen system time in our
Linux patchset. It could be changed, but really I think these timestamps are
the only noticeable artefact.

 -- Keir