[Xen-devel] Isolation and time

To: "Dave Winchell" <dwinchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ben Guthro" <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Isolation and time
From: "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:53:26 -0600
Cc: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:56:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Moving from offlist discussion.)

I'm interested in opinions...  Assume there are four
single vcpu domains A, B, C, D, running on a 2-CPU
physical machine.  We wish to test for time skew on
domain A.  Assuming B, C, and D are all running
some workload that attempts to fully saturate the
(single) cpu.

1) Should the affect on domain A be essentially the
   same regardless of what load (e.g., compile,
   lmbench, or just "while(1);") is running in
   B, C, and D?
2) Should "xm sched-credit -d A -c 50" have the
   same result (e.g. no other domains need be run)?

If the load on other domains can affect time skew on
domain A, this raises isolation questions.  And
it makes time skew testing much harder (What loads
and real-customer situations can cause more skew?)

If the load on other domains canNOT affect time skew
on domain A, testing for time skew becomes a lot
easier.  (Use sched-credit instead of launching multiple
domains.)

Comments?  My preliminary testing has been inconclusive.

Dan