[Xen-devel] Re: Isolation and time

To: "dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Winchell <dwinchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Guthro <bguthro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Isolation and time
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:59:04 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:58:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 14/6/08 03:20, "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But is there anything else?
>
> Suppose the credit scheduler were modified to
> optionally schedule random "spurts" when the
> sum of caps was less than the total available
> CPU.  Would you then expect the results to be
> essentially the same?

I wouldn't expect another domain's workload to affect the test domain's time
synchronisation except so far as the workload affects the domain's CPU
demand over time. I imagine you could therefore simulate that CPU demand
process inside the scheduler. How hard that is presumably depends how
accurate you want the simulation to be.

 -- Keir