[Xen-devel] Re: Interaction between Xen and XFS: stray RW mappings

To: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Interaction between Xen and XFS: stray RW mappings
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:37:49 -0700
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Morten , dean gaudet <dean@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bøgeskov <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, xfs-masters@xxxxxxxxxxx, David Chinner <dgc@xxxxxxx>, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:38:27 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nick Piggin wrote:
> You could call it a bug I think. I don't know much about Xen though,
> whether or not it expects to be able to run an arbitrary OS kernel.

Xen's paravirtualized mode always requires a guest OS to be modified;
certainly some operating systems would be very hard to make work with
Xen.  But you can always fall back to using shadow pagetables or full
hvm (VT/SVM) mode.

> Presumably, the hypervisor _could_ write protect and trap writes to
> *all* page table page mappings.

Xen manages this stuff with refcounts; it doesn't maintain an rmap for
these pages, so it would have to exhaustively search to do this.  But
aside from that, Xen never actively modifies pagetables, so this would
be a new behaviour in the interface.