Re: [Xen-devel] vesafb

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] vesafb
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 08:40:57 +0100
Cc: ron minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jayant Mangalampalli <Jayant_Mangalampalli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 May 2007 00:37:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/5/07 08:22, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think we want to parse the dom0 kernel's command line looking for a
>> 'vga=' parameter, and if present, setup the appropriate vesa mode just
>> before un-pausing the newly created dom0.
>
> So you want the same counter intuitive mechanism that native Linux uses
> (in that GrUB parses the kernel command line), rather than having the
> command line option apply directly to Xen (i.e. vesa=), leaving unhandled
> any non-Linux OSes possibly usable as dom0?

Er, what?

GRUB only parses 'vga=' for Linux images. It doesn't do so for multiboot
images. And, even if it did, what does that have to do with non-Linux dom0
OSes?

The reason we plan to use Linux-style 'vga=' is because we can leverage the
fact that people have already learned the hex mode numbers they care about
from using native Linux. Actually I will probably go for 'vga=vesa-<mode>'.

 -- Keir