Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] keymap support for PVFB

Markus Armbruster wrote:

>>> Passing scan codes in addition to key symbols makes sense.
>> Does the vnc protocol allow that?  I don't think so :-(
>
> Broken as designed...
>
> Your hack has the advantage that you don't configure the client keymap
> into the server, and therefore don't have to kick the server whenever
> the client keymap changes.

Yep.  You can even connect two clients with different local keymaps and
it still works ;)

> But when your client receives a funky key
> that ordinary US keyboards don't have, you don't have the key symbol
> for it.

That is exactly the drawback ...

> Hmm, can we make one up then?  I mean it's a hack to begin with, why
> not put another hack on top of it?  As long as every key gets its own
> key symbol, and the made-up ones don't screw up servers that don't
> know of this hack...

We can try that.  For the 102th/105th key on i18n keyboards we likely
have to create something.  For the extra keys the japanese keyboards
have we maybe can simply send the existing keysyms for these keys
(assuming the scancodes for these keys are unique, i.e. used on japanese
keyboards only).

cheers,
  Gerd

--