Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] keymap support for PVFB

To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] keymap support for PVFB
From: Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:53:27 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Junko Ichino <ichino.junko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:53:06 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx> writes:

>   Hi,
>
>> In the longer run, I'd like to replace LibVNCServer by code from QEMU
>> alltogether.  In the short run, working keymaps are quite welcome.
>
> Hmm, so this works by telling the vnc server side which keymap the
> client is using I guess?

Exactly.  Not ideal, but better than nothing.

> I've tried to tackle the same issue by hacking the vnc client side to
> send us keysyms no matter what the local keyboard mapping is.  So I can
> have any keyboard map loaded on the host, qemu-dm/vncfb sees us keysyms
> nevertheless and passes the correct scancodes to the guest OS.

You mean scan codes, don't you?  Key symbols are the XK_a and so
forth.

Passing scan codes in addition to key symbols makes sense.  sdlfb
works that way; it gets both from SDL, then maps the scan code to the
vkbd protocol's key encoding (Linux input layer key codes).

Would you mind sharing your code when it's ready?

> Problem with that is that I don't have keysyms to send for keys which
> are not present on a us keyboard.  That affects the 102th/105th key on
> i18n keyboards ("<>|" key on a german keyboard), and I think japanese
> keyboards have a few more keys which are just dead ...

sdlfb.c maps 105 keys.

For additional keys, have a user of the keyboard in question find the
scan code with xev.