RE: [Xen-devel] [XENOPROLIFE] New oprofile patch for XenOProfile

To: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>, "Ray Bryant" <raybry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [XENOPROLIFE] New oprofile patch for XenOProfile
From: "Bryant, Ray" <ray.bryant@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:00:51 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Woller, Thomas" <thomas.woller@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 06:48:40 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Santos, Jose Renato G wrote:

<snip>

>>> Ok. That seems a good plan.
>>> I will be glad to help if I can when you have more details.
>>> On a related note, I received a report that XenOprofile is missing
>>> some user level samples. I am preparing a patch with the fix and
>>> should post it to the list later today. This should affect kernel
>>> samples though.
>>>

>> "should" or "should not" affect kernel samples?
>>

> Sorry for the typo. It should NOT affect kernel samples REnato

That's what I figured, but was just checking.  :-)

I mispoke before, the last time I have this stuff working was with cs
11408 and what I labeled "old profile" (whatever that was...)

So I went back and resurrected my cs 11408 xen build and ran three
different versions of xenoprof against it:

(1)  oprofile 0.9.2 + your patch for 0.9.2
(2)  oprofile 0.9.1 + your patch r3 for 0.9.1
(3)  oprofile 0.9.1 + Rosimildo's old patch to fix image->start and
image->end for 64 bit hypervisor

(1) and (2) didn't give me any xen or guest kernel samples.   (3) worked
the way I was expecting things to work (as it had before).
So I am guessing that (3) is the old profile I used before.

I rebooted to cs 11785 + AMD patches, and retried (3) and it works
basically  the same as it did for 11408 (whew).  I still haven't
verified that the xen and kernel guest samples are correct, but at least
there are xen, kernel guest, kernel user samples and I'm not getting any
with (1) or (2).

So I am thinking that the problems I am seeing are related to 64-bit
hypervisor and the more recent fixes than Rosimildo's patchset.

--
Best Regards,

Ray

Ray Bryant, Ph. D.