Re: [Xen-devel] [XENOPROLIFE] New oprofile patch for XenOProfile

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [XENOPROLIFE] New oprofile patch for XenOProfile
From: "Ray Bryant" <raybry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:24:47 -0500
Cc: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>, "Woller, Thomas" <thomas.woller@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:25:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Renato,

Well, I'd postponed any work with xenoprof until we had a working 3.0.3
version plus the local patches that we are using (includes the xenoprof
patches that Tom Woller et al have done).

So, I'm now working with an oprofile 0.9.2 plus your patch
oprofile-0.9.2-xen.patch from the HP open source website.   The particular
project we are working on requires us to obtain profiles for the HVM guest
kernel.   Unfortunately, my first few tries at this have been unsuccessful (I
get lots of "lost kernel sample" messages in the oprofiled.log and no
reported samples for the guest kernel.  :-(  ).

So I guess my guestion to you is, do you have access to a VT or AMD V enabled
platform that you can test stuff on?   (I'd like to find a collegue to work
with on this problem if at all possible.)   I have dedicated VT and AMD
platforms for my use, so if you have a VT platorm, we can get stuff to work
correctly there first and then I can work with Tom et al to get the AMD V
versions to work.

--
Ray Bryant
AMD Performance Labs                   Austin, Tx