Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch rfc 1/3] xen arch header rework.

Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 10:56 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alien build-essential debhelper defoma dpkg-dev ethereal fontconfig
  intltool-debian libcompress-zlib-perl libfontconfig1 libft-perl
  libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libmail-sendmail-perl
  libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libxft2 ntp ntp-server ntp-simple
  perl perl-doc perl-modules po-debconf rpm ttf-bitstream-vera xterm
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 28 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 59.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

I guess I just cannot fathom the infinite wisdom that leads to a widget
toolkit or a truetype font requiring a script language interpreter to
run. This example describes perfectly why Linux will never be a serious
threat to any of the real desktop platforms out there, most of the
application code is so tangled up in external dependencies that
packaging up software stand-alone is practially impossible, version
conflicts (two applications requiring different version of say, perl)
are inevitable, and performance just plain sucks, because developers
prefer comfortable (perl, python) to fast and predictable (C, C++). Oh
well.

I'm with Steven in that we're getting well off topic here,
but I'm not in any way convinced this is unique to Linux.
Nor am I certain that's an accurate evaluation of those
languages :)
But this isn't the place.

Xen already requires python, so using python instead of perl in the
build script does not further bloat the requirements list.

I think ultimately this is what it comes down to.
The more consistent the code/utility base the better
it is for maintainers and builders.

--
Julian Davison
Note: 1) This may have come from an address @cbhs.school.nz