[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 5/24] i386 Vmi code patching

To: Daniel Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 5/24] i386 Vmi code patching
From: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:02:17 -0800
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:58:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Daniel Arai (arai@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> To elaborate a bit more, the "ROM" layer is "published" by the hypervisor.
> This layer of abstraction will let you take a VMI-compiled kernel and run
> it efficiently on any hypervisor that exports a VMI interface - even one
> that you didn't know about (or didn't exist) when you compiled your kernel.
>
> If the ROM part is compiled into the code, then you have to compile in
> support for the specific hypervisor(s) you want to run on.  It might be
> reasonable for this code to be in a lodable kernel module, rather than a
> device ROM per se, but you still want that kernel module to be provided by
> the hypervisor.

I don't agree.  That module may know how to get interface info from a
vdso analog (just like a driver knows the hardware details of the device
it's interacting with, but the core kernel api is unaware), but placing
the binary compatibility on the kernel proper is wrong IMO.

thanks,
-chris