Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport

To: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:56:09 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tony Breeds <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:06:56 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rusty Russell wrote:

It's unoptimized, but shows some promise.  Here are the benchmarks for
tcpblast and tbench, on a uniproc 3GHz Pentium 4.  I'd appreciate SMP
numbers if someone has hardware on hand:

        UDP blast: tcpblast -u -s50000 dom0 9999
          Current Xen = 254961 KB/s
          Simple share = 233952 KB/s
        TCP blast: tcpblast -t -s50000 dom0 9999
          Current Xen = 86566.4 KB/s
          Simple share = 135415 KB/s
        Bidir tcp load: tbench 10
          Current Xen = 31.9551 MB/sec
          Simple share = 64.2113 MB/sec
I imagine the numbers for the Simple share should be pretty similiar for domU to domU right? I also imagine that domU to domU under Current xen should be considerably worse right?

Any idea why there's UDP degradation?

This stuff looks awesome :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

It's not plumbed into xenbus, so creating LANs is a manual process,
using the dmesg output from the initial creation:

        dom0# modprobe ohlan create
        ohlan: created lan eth1 at address 0x1b6000
        domU# modprobe ohlan address=0x1b6000

Feedback welcome!
Rusty.