Re: [Xen-devel] PAE support revisited - questions

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:25 +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Karen White <kawhite@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Have you settled on a #define for configuring in PAE code, eg.
> > CONFIG_X86_PAE like linux.  Are you adding this or something else to
> > asm-x86/config.h
>
> Thats my intention.  Maybe build some CONFIG_PAGING_LEVELS_2/3/4 from
> this and i386 vs. x86_64 to make the #ifdefs in the code a bit more
> readable.

I submitted a CONFIG_PAE patch, but Keir says PAE support will be
determined at boot time, not compile time.

Have you, Keir, and Ian gotten together to agree on common high-level
strategy.

> > Have you determined if the PAE code is going into the files under
> > xen/arch/x86/x86_32, using #ifdef's for PAE, or are you planning to add
> > a parallel directory to x86_32 and x86_64 under xen/arch?
>
> I think a parallel directory is overkill.
Agreed.

> I'd create include/asm-x86/x86_32/page-2l.h and page-3l.h and let
> page.h include the correct one depending on CONFIG_X86_PAE (and also
> have the common stuff there).

Yes, after looking at it and Ian's response, makes sense if PAE is still
a compile time option.

Are you working on this?  I have modeled a page.h after x86_32/page.h
but for level-3 page tables.  Not finished with it.

If you all have not decided on compile-time verses run-time
configuration issue, how are you all adding the PAE specific code.  It
has to be either ifdef'ed or driven by a global variable or boot-time
parameter.

Karen